Saturday, September 1, 2012

#1: (revise) Culture is Conforming Our Minds

In "An Introduction to Criticism," Michael Ryan talks about how culture has many deciding factors that run your life. Mostly people are always like their elders because they are taught these cultures. Not many people these days strive towards what they really want to be. Ryan gives the example of Germans during the holocaust. When good Germans saw Jews being marched off to concentration camps, they knew this action as an acceptable part of their reality because they were instructed to do so. These people were taught that these action were ok when they were int he wrong, but anyone who opposed would be killed. (Ryan 166) This shows how culture is being sew into the minds of society instead of people having their own belief and acting out. There are places on earth where if you choose to practice a different religion than theirs, you could be executed.   
I am a young adult in school, still living with my parents. My parents pounded their religion and there political views into my head all through my childhood. As I start to grow up and branch out into my own life I see things in a different perspective than I use to. I can see my self changing and my beliefs changing to who I really am in society. I see myself a lot different than who my parents want me to be.  
People should strive to be who they want to be, not who someone else wants them to be. Branch out from society and do your own thing; be a leader not a follower. Culture shouldn’t be something that’s forced into our minds. Let your mind run free and choose what makes you happy. Stories are what people believe and how they believe, and how people believe determines how they act and how they live. (Ryan 180)    

No comments:

Post a Comment