Monday, September 3, 2012

#2: (revise) Big Target!

In the article "They Say," David Rushkoff talks about corporate America and how we are influenced by them through advertising. He makes a clever point giving them the name "they," and he says that, "They say humans only use 10 percent of their brains." "They say that computers can predict the weather," and so on. After he brings up the point, who, exactly, are "they," and why do they say so much? Why do we listen to them? (Rushkoff 1) Every day we are tempted by some advertisement, no matter whether you are out and about or just sitting at home. It on the internet, on our TVs, even on social media websites they are pinned all over. Everyday new strategies are made to keep us succumbed to their must have item. As one strategy starts to lose its effectiveness, they whip up another clever strategy to catch our attention.
I have a personal experience with advertising. I could easily be considered their biggest target. I’m the kind of person that would buy something just because I got a good deal, even though I didn’t really need it. When I see an advertisement, I’m like a deer in headlights, especially fast food commercials. I watch them and I’m heading for the door to go eat and I’m not even that hungry. There are many times when I see people standing outside of Wal-Mart for some charity. I tell myself I’m not going to talk to them because I know if I do they will get my money. I am easily persuaded.
Advertisers can be very sly and conniving. They can creep up on us and take us by surprise. Everyday technology is advancing and new ways of advertising are made.  We just need to look out for them and spot them before they take over our minds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment